1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon lemon juice
3 pints strawberries, hulled and cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices
¼ cup packed brown sugar
Ground black pepper
- Bring the vinegar, granulated sugar, and lemon juice to a simmer in a small heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until the syrup is reduced by half (to approximately 3 tablespoons), about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vinegar syrup to a small bowl and cool completely.
- With a spoon, lightly toss the berries and brown sugar in a large bowl. Let stand until the sugar dissolves and the berries exude some juice, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar syrup over the berries, add pepper to taste, and toss to combine.
- Divide the berries among individual bowls and serve immediately.