With fall well on its way, now is the perfect time to switch up your salads for hearty bakes, and this dish is a great introduction to some of the season’s best vegetables – zucchinis and squashes. Zucchinis are packed with vitamin C and vitamin B6, have high water content, and are a great source of energy. When partnered with a generous helping of green lentils, you’ve also got a dish that is high in fiber. Win, win!
For those readers who are looking to reduce their meat consumption or are loyal to one of my favorite foodie days, #MeatFreeMonday, this vegetarian recipe is for you! It can also be made vegan by either removing the parmesan completely or using your choice of dairy-free cheese.
|15 Minutes||50 Minutes||4-6 People|
1 large zucchini
1 large yellow zucchini squash
1 medium butternut squash
½ white onion
½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Salt/pepper to taste
2 cups green lentils
4 cups breadcrumbs
½ cup grated parmesan
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
Phoebe Male is a food and travel blogger based in Southwest Ohio. She moved to the US from England in 2015 and is on a mission to get the best out of the Midwest. Her love of food and travel is made clear through innovative and inviting still life photography, paired with a delightfully captivating style of writing. For more recipes and reviews, follow her on Instagram at @milkwithnosugar.
- Preheat oven to 375°F, line a baking tray with parchment.
- Dice the two zucchini squashes and scoop into a large bowl. Piece the butternut squash with a fork several times and microwave for 3 minutes to soften the skin. Peel the skin, scoop out and discard the seeds and dice the flesh. Chop the onion and scoop in with the vegetables. Drizzle the oil over and stir in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the vegetables for 15-20 minutes, until the edges brown/crisp up before spooning into a baking dish. Stir in the lentils.
- In a small bowl, blend the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and mustard seeds, and spoon over the vegetable/lentil mix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping has crisped up and the cheese has melted.
- Melt half of the butter on a low heat in a skillet and add the sandwich. Grill for 1-2 minutes on either side, before setting aside to cool. Repeat with for the final two sandwiches.