Happy Saturday! I hope you are enjoying some quality father time this weekend with the dad or grandfather in your family. We are all stocked up with food and drinks and ready to relax with the dad that leads our family, just after we watch our nephew play in the Indiana High School State Championship baseball game!
This week contains the official first day of summer—June 21st—the longest day of the year. Summer vacations are in full force, and you may be like us and have a road trip planned. I often get asked what snacks I bring on long car trips. If you know me, then you know I’m trying to avoid stopping at gas stations for snacks. Because, even when we are snacking, we are trying to be healthy or at least eat clean foods.
Here are the staples you find packed in a mini cooler or thrown into a snack bag when we are road trippin’!
Cool Cooler Treats
- Traders Point Creamery Mini Yogurt Shots: My family, especially the boys, bleed Traders Point yogurt. It is certified organic, grass-fed, and the flavored yogurts are very low in added sugar. The yogurt minis are perfect for the road—just peel back the foil top and drink it down.
- Organic Valley and Hartzler’s Cheese Sticks: Individually wrapped and easy to pass out to each car rider, cheese sticks pack a perfect amount of protein and fat to keep us full until we pull over for a meal.
- La Croix: I have found you either love it or hate it—there is no in between when it comes to La Croix. We happen to love it! A nice alternative to sugary soda and a bubbly upgrade to plain ol’ water.
- Steaz: When we need a burst of energy to keep our mind focused, we reach for a Steaz. Matt loves the blueberry pomegranate iced green tea and I love the unsweetened lemon. Have you tried any of the cactus waters by Steaz? Super tasty and packed with antioxidants! All three flavors we carry are amazing.
Snack Bag Staples
- Farm to Kitchen Foods Nuts and Seeds: To us, road trip snacks always include nuts and seeds of some kind. Our personal family favorites are cashews and pistachios. Loaded with good fats and a bit of protein, nuts and seeds are super healthy and filling.
- BeeFree Warrior Mix: Like snacking on nuts and seeds, because it is made with almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, but this paleo-friendly snack also contains coconut. Gluten-free and grain-free—Warrior Mix has been our go-to snack since the first time we tried it. Just like the nuts and seeds, we just pass the bag around the car and snack away!
- Meat Jerky: Another must have for road trips! Seven Sons beef jerky and Field Trip turkey jerky are both free of high fructose corn syrup and nitrites. They are good, clean food that pack in the protein. Seven Sons beef jerky is made with grass-fed beef from their farm in Indiana.
- Pirate’s Booty: Like any kid born in the last 10 years, my kids LOVE Pirate’s Booty! The 1-ounce lunch packs are perfect for the car; each bag is one serving. They are GMO-free, gluten-free, and do not contain any artificial colorings or flavorings. And, you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy this stuff—us grown-ups snack on it too!
Beth Blessing (Organic Beth) has a Masters in Nutrition and is the co-founder of Green Bean Delivery. She is a mother of three that loves supporting family farms and searching for unique, artisanal products. Her goal is to help others eat better and live a more natural, holistic life through healthy recipes and practical tips. Follow her on Facebook: @OrganicBeth