Amidst a busy lifestyle, it can sometimes seem impossible to get anything on the dinner table, let alone something healthy. Grabbing food from a drive-through may appear to be the best idea at the moment, but rarely is that a healthy option. In the blink of an eye, eating out one night turns into eating out multiple nights a week. So, how can you avoid this downward spiral and keep healthy meals on the table even when time is limited? This Mexican-Style Rice Bowl recipe includes five tips to get back on track to healthier living.
- Use Pre-Cut/Pre-Washed Produce
- Incorporate Easy, Pre-Cooked Proteins
- Thaw out Frozen Foods Ahead of Time
- Cook Some Quick Cooking Grains
- Save Time with Your Slow-Cooker
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, brown the meat until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in spices and salt.
- Stir in the corn and black beans and continue to cook until corn is cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble 4 rice bowls: layering up add the salad greens, rice, meat and bean mixture, peppers, cilantro, and avocado slices.
- Top with hot sauce, salsa, and/or sour cream.
Beth Blessing (Organic Beth) has a Masters in Nutrition and is the co-founder of Green BEAN Delivery. She is a mother of three that loves supporting family farms and searching for unique, artisanal products. Her goal is to help others eat better and live a more natural, holistic life through healthy recipes and practical tips. Follow her at facebook.com/organicbeth