- 1 ½ pound rutabagas, peeled and chopped*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and chopped*
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese*
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream*
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley.
- Combine rutabagas, 1 teaspoon salt, and 6 cups water in a large stock pot; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add turnips; turn up heat to return to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook and additional 15 to 20 minutes. Root veggies should be very tender. Drain, return to pan, and heat gently for 2 to 3 minutes to dry them.
- Combine root veggies, parmesan cheese, butter, cream, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher (or beat at medium speed with an electric mixer) to desired consistency.