This year, Earth Day is on Friday, April 22nd. As a member of Green Bean Delivery, each order you place helps to support businesses that are trying to do good by Mother Earth. It’s probably one of the reasons why you sought us out and joined us in supporting hundreds of local farmers and artisans and reputable national brands.
Making a Difference While Shopping for Groceries
We strive to build and maintain a healthy ecosystem of local food sourcing and distribution. This makes supporting environmentally conscious and sustainable businesses an easy win for our members. We like to think of our business as Groceries for Good!™ and here is why!
Millions of dollars from our members have been recycled back into the local economy which helps to strengthen small businesses, community, and sustainable food practices. When you eat local, not only is the food fresher, but it also has a lower carbon footprint! Here are some of our local powerhouses when it comes to being environmental stewards of the land.
- Family Farm Fresh – A group of family farms dedicated to supporting and promoting the core values of a rich Agricultural based heritage.
- Great River Organics – A farmer-owned, non-profit co-op dedicated to expanding the footprint of local, organic foods in central Ohio’s marketplace.
- Foxhollow Farm – Foxhollow Farm’s mission is to create a thriving biodynamic farm community. They raise 100% grassfed beef and are dedicated to growing healthy food and strengthening the relationship between human beings and nature.
- Marcoot Jersey Creamery – A seventh-generation family-owned Jersey dairy farm in Greenville, Illinois. Specializing in handcrafted, high-quality artisan and farmstead cheeses.
- Rootbound Farm – A family-run certified organic farm in Oldham County, Kentucky. They are passionate about growing delicious, healthy, high-quality food for the community.
- Seven Sons – Their mission is simple, “to produce nutrient-dense foods that heal and nourish our land and those who eat of its bounty” and at Seven Sons Family Farm they take their consumers health very seriously. All animals on the farm are grass-fed, never fed antibiotics or drugs, GMO-, steroid- and hormone-free.
- Snowville Creamery – Founded in response to a lack of truly fresh, local dairy products. Their mission is to provide wholesome and fresh milk from grass-grazing cows for retail sale in local markets.
Opt for Efficient Delivery Routes & Save a Trip to the Store
When your food is delivered in our trucks, we not only have your order, but another 40+ of your neighbors. On average our trucks carry 40 orders which helps to reduce the number of cars on the road. Our orders are delivered in reusable green bins using reusable ice packs and recyclable brown bags and compostable green bags. All this helps to reduce the carbon footprint of your grocery buying.
Pursuing Planet-Friendly Brands
We also seek out and support national brands that are reducing their carbon footprint by being environmentally friendly and sustainable. We look for brands that are Climate Neutral Certified, B Corporation, 1% for the Planet, USDA Certified Organic, and Fair Trade. These types of businesses are putting the environment and people over profit and are a force of good for the planet. Here are some of the bests in the business when it comes to being environmentally friendly.
- Dr. Bronner’s – A family business committed to making socially and environmentally responsible products of the highest quality.
- Seventh Generation – For over thirty years, Seventh Generation has been on a mission to create a more healthy, sustainable, and equitable world for the generations to come. That mission is at the heart of everything they do.
- Numi Organic Tea – A premium, Fair Trade sustainable company specializing in unique and innovative blends of green, black, white, oolong teas, and more.
- Alter Eco – A chocolate-centric, sustainability-directed food company that offers a full portfolio of enlightened indulgences, including heirloom quinoa and chocolate bars.
- Nuun – The company chooses clean ingredients that work with your body, giving you the nutrients you need to stay healthy and hydrated. Their products are formulated with a plants-first mindset, and backed by their third-party certifications:
- Certified Gluten Free by Gluten Intolerant Group
- Kosher Certified by Orthodox Union
- Certified Vegan by American Vegetarian Association
- Informed Sport by LGC Sciences
- Non GMO Project Verified by The Non-GMO Project
- Organic Valley – Founded in 1988, Organic Valley is a cooperative of farmers producing award-winning organic milk, cheese, butter, soy milk, produce, healthy snacks & more.
- Annie’s Homegrown – Since 1989, Annie’s has been nourishing families with simple, down-to-earth foods that taste great and are easy to love. Annie’s mission is to cultivate a healthier and happier world by spreading goodness through nourishing foods, honest words and conduct that is considerate and forever kind to the planet.
- Alaffia – A social enterprise on a mission to invest in a more equitable future. Alaffia is built on a philosophy of fair trade deﬁned by paying a fair local price or wage, offering equal employment opportunities, engaging in environmentally sustainable practices, providing healthy and safe working conditions, being open to public accountability and reducing the number of middlemen from supplier to consumer.
As the nutritionist at the company, my nod to Mother Earth is through our Clean Store Promise. Before adding a food and beverage product to our store, we ensure its ingredients have no artificial additives, preservatives, colorings, or flavorings. And for our health and home products, we make sure they are naturally derived, nontoxic, biodegradable, and free of synthetic fragrances.
Groceries for Good!™ touches every aspect of Green Bean Delivery. We like to think of it as a healthy ecosystem that works together to build a better way to source and distribute food. When you shop with us, you’re part of a greater good, making a positive difference with each order, and that makes Earth Day everyday with Green Bean!
About Organic Beth
Beth Blessing (Organic Beth) has a Masters in Nutrition and is the co-founder of Green Bean Delivery. She is a mother of three who loves supporting family farms and searching for unique, artisanal products. Her goal is to help others eat better and live a more natural, holistic life through healthy recipes and practical tips.